Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Already?!

When we took Aurora to the GI back in January, we were told to wait 3-4 months to trial any more food. During this time we have focused on getting her to an even baseline. This, however, has been easier said than done. It seems just when we're getting her to that point, when she's finally had a good night's sleep several nights in a row, something happens. A cold, teething, ear infection, another cold, another double ear infection. We have still been unable to start on her 1 year vaccinations, she just can't seem to stay at a good baseline!!

Last week I got a call from the GI's office. She has an appointment at the end of April. Given Rosie's delayed reaction times, she wants us to start our first trial 2-3 weeks before the appointment. That means we start next week. NEXT WEEK. I am not prepared for this!! I'm still trying to get her to sleep like a regular kid! Food trials?! Inside I'm a mess. I took her back in to the pediatrician today to have her ears checked again. Her infection is still lingering, so we got some numbing drops and are staying on the antibiotics. (We can't start a trial if she's sick). We also had her lead level rechecked; at her 1 year appointment it was pretty elevated (an 8) so I have been extremely concerned about that as well. THANKFULLY it's normal!! (Insert ridiculous happy dance here).

So now I wait. Tapping my foot. Waiting for this annoying ear infection to go away and give my baby (and me!) some peace. And I'm waiting for the food trial list in the mail from the GI. It's a list that The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) uses for their EE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis) kids. So basically it's a big list of food, in the order we are supposed to trial. The problem (because let's face it, there's always a problem) is, even though I haven't seen it yet, I have a sneaking suspicion we have already trialed quite a few things on there. But it doesn't do anyone any good to worry about that until I get the list and know for sure. (But I'm still worrying).

My confession: I'm absolutely terrified. I just feel sick with worry. What food do we start with (Duh, I know, wait for the list!) What if she fails? What if she's in pain, again, for weeks on end? What if she KEEPS failing food? And just on and on...

BUT, I'm going to try to stay positive. She can't be allergic to EVERYTHING (can she???) It will be so incredible to have something she can eat! Right now, her special treat is an ice water in a cup, with a straw, from Sonic, so that she gets to feel included with her brother. I anxiously await the day she can actually sit at the table with him and they can eat lunch together, something that's so easy to take for granted.

Now..back to waiting..and worrying.



No comments:

Post a Comment